Pages

Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Giftalong 2014 Series: Interview with Corley Groves

As you know, I am all about this Indie Designer Giftalong. This year I will be doing interviews, hopefully more than last year, starting of with a bang.

I have met a new-to-me designer, and have really enjoyed hosting this interview with her for you. I am not going to say much in the beginning, so you can hear all about her. Enjoy this special interview!

Corley Groves (cagroves91)




How did you start designing?
I've always loved the idea of designing my own patterns. But never thought I'd be able to do it. Then one day I decided that I just go ahead and try it! If it didn't work then oh well! But if it did work, I'd feel so accomplished. So I started with something that wasn't too complicated - my Lattice Baby Hat. I had so much fun during the whole design process that I knew I wanted to stick with it!

Where do you get your inspiration for your designs?
The most unexpected places. I never know what's going to inspire me until it happens. My closet, stitch patterns, fabric, scrapbook paper... Pretty much anything!

How did you find out about the Giftalong?
I was browsing through the Designer's group on Ravelry when I saw a post about the giftalong. I had never heard of it but as I read what it was all about I knew I wanted to be part of it! Such a wonderful community of knitters and crocheters.

What do you want to accomplish while in the Giftalong?
Hopefully I'll be able to knock out my gift knitting! I also hope to knit a few gifts for myself along the way. And if I sell a pattern or two along the way that's a bonus.

You are a designer in the Giftalong, but are you going to be a knitter?
I will definitely be a knitter! I think it's a great way to take a break from my designs and see what patterns others are putting out there. It's a great way to find inspiration and reflect on myself as a designer. And with so many lovely patterns to choose from I'm very excited to knit a few of them.

Photo Courtesy of Corley Groves

Do you spend money more locally or on the internet while buying yarn?
The internet. The closest LYS is 45 minutes from me so my options are chain craft stores or online. And I find the quality of yarn I can get online better than the chain stores. Usually I shop Knit Picks yarn. Great prices and great quality.

What other crafts do you do other than knitting?
Everything! Well not really, but I try! I crochet, sew, embroider, scrapbook, other paper crafts... I can also cross stitch and latch hook but rarely ever do them. Basically if it's a craft, it's my goal to learn it! Next up: learn to spin!

English or Continental?
English. One day I will learn continental. Knowing both will make color stranding much easier and quicker.

Photo Courtesy of Corley Groves

When did you learn to knit?
When I was in eighth grade. I picked up a kit on how to knit at a school book fair and took it to my Gammi's (Grandma) house. She used to knit so she spent the afternoon teaching me. I learned to cast on, knit, and purl. I practiced all the time! Then when I wanted to learn more, I got on the computer and looked up how to do it. Gammi hadn't knit for years so she was a bit rusty.

Who is your best knitting/designing role-model?
There are so many designers who have inspired me in some way. Whether it's their style or their types of patterns. But one that I am most inspired by (and knit more of her patterns than anyone else) is Boknits. I've tested about 5 of her patterns. I'm so impressed by how quickly she can turn out designs. She always has a few on her needles and a few in the testing process. And she has a distinct style and sticks to it. I think it's very important to stay true to who you are and your style as a designer.

As you have heard from Corley, I have had a great time with this interview. I love how she doesn't just do knitting but she does crochet too, and there are a lack of crochet designers in the Giftalong.

How to contact Corley Groves:
Ravelry: cagroves91
Designer Page: Designs by Corley Groves

Please join in the fun over in the Indie Designer Giftalong Group if you haven't already. Very awesome patterns and there are plenty of chatters over there (me included).

As always, you can contact me:
Ravelry: Punkin97

It is best for you just to send me a PM (by clicking on the 'send a message' button).

No comments:

Post a Comment