Pages

Friday, May 24, 2013

Daybreak Dyeworks: Heinz 57 Base

Dawn, from Daybreak Dyeworks has sent me a 1 oz sample of her 57 Heinz Base top with my purchase! It was a lovely lime green! I have to be honest, right when I opened my package, I might have squeed a lot! I got it right out of the braid, got my spindle (which luckly didn't have anything on it) and started spinning right away! I split the top into halves and spun it that way! Dawn is a very good friend of mine, so I am pleased to be doing my first review on her studio! I will be doing her other bases too!

When I saw this top, I got it right out and spun it right up! It was my fastest spinning project! I started and finished 1 oz of her top in 1.5 hours! So happy to get something new in the mail! This sample was an extra in my package! It was just a little sample! I will be posting pictures in the next few days, when I have time, but while you wait, here is an interview of Dawn!

1. How did you pick the Heinz 57 breed to use for your shop?
I came across Heinz 57 breed not soon after I first began dyeing. I was looking for something inexpensive to sort of "practice" with. I was a little leery at first because I'd never heard of this breed before, it's not even in the Fleec and Fiber Sourcebook! But I figured the worse that would happen is that the finished yarn would get knit into some felted coasters or something. Surprisingly, the finished yarn wasn't rough at all! Now, don't get me wrong, it's not merino, but I think it would do great as a hat or outwear.

2. How do you get inspired for new colorways?
Inspiration comes from anywhere! Sometimes a photo I've come across, sometimes a memory, sometimes a phrase... But if I'm in a rut, or just want to experiment with combinations, I'll visit Design Seeds, which is almost like dyeing from a given prompt. And you can't count out those happy mistakes!

3. What is your favorite colorway you have made for the Heinz 57 top that you had in your shop?
So far, my favorite colorway I've made (that has made it to the shop) is "Dainty" which was spun from Heinz 57. Its quite variegated, but all the color variations came from one color breaking into its other counterparts.

4. What do you think is the best item to be made from the handspun yarn from the Heinz 57 top you carry in your shop?
I think this breed of fiber would be great for winter hats and durable outerwear pieces. It has a lovely, rustic look about it would probably look great in fair isle also.

5. How soft would you rate this yarn?
On a scale of 1-5, probably a 3. I'd say it's a step down from Corriedale. It does soften a bit after you soak it though, and a good tip is to add a bit of hair conditioner in the water you soak your finished skein in.

6. Have you spun up some of the Heinz 57 from your shop?
Oh course! Quite a few of the skeins from my shop are spun from Heinz 57, and this is my favorite skein (to date) spun from this fiber.

7. What type of dye do you use?
I mostly use dye solutions made from food coloring, but I also use natural dyes, it's a much more time-consuming process though. I like to use food coloring for the brighter, more saturated colors, and natural dye solutions for more neutral tones.

8. How many people do you have working for you in your shop?
Technically, it's just me, but my husband is in charge of the shipping and receiving, and I like to think of my oldest daughter as my general manager and personal assistant, lol! I began using food coloring to dye because I was most comfortable using that around my kids, who are ALWAYS around and helping. Even though I do most of the leg work, it's fun that we can all be a part of things in some capacity!
Besides all the wonderful things she has told us about her shop, I have some other things to add!

Dawn is a very nice and kind lady, she puts all her time into dyeing for her shop. It is such a pleasure to be doing my first review with her! She is so nice and kind to everybody in all the forums on ravelry! I got my purchase really fast! It may have been the fastest package I have ever gotten! She is absolutely amazing! Her tops and rovings are very special and 1-of-a-kind! She is going to be doing a custom order for me soon, so if you are not interested in any of her colorways, you can just convo her on etsy and tell her what you want! She is a very nice and kind lady to work with! She has made this experience very fun to do! I totally recommend her! If you don't spin, no need to worry! She has hand-spun yarns all ready to be shipped to you!

Thank you, Dawn, for the picture of the fiber. I was too eager to get it spun last night! You are awesome!

Before:
Colorway: Green Smoothie

 After:
2-ply
29 yards 
9 WPI (Worsted Weight)

My Review:
I spun the Heinz 57 sample in a 2-ply. I was not trying to get a certain weight, so I just spun as it came out. It  turned out to be a 9 WPI (wraps per inch). I got 29 yards out of this in a 2-ply. Dawn later contacted me to tell me that she only sent me a half oz instead of a whole oz. So, I will be able to play with more of this fiber! When I get it, I will be trying to get a thinner weight instead of a thicker yarn, which I got here. I honestly have no idea what I will be making from this sample, but it will be knitted for sure! The Heinz 57 yarn is in between corriedale and merino for the softness. I don't think it should be near skin-contact. It would be lovely as a beret styled hat. I think I might have to get more of this fiber in this color so that I can spin some up for a beret! This fiber was a pleasure to work with. It was a very different fiber than what I am used to, though. It was great to try something new. Dawn sells this fiber for cheap! Totally recommend her! You would think that this fiber would cost much more than I would think it would be.

If you are able to get your hands on this fiber, I would totally recommend it! It is one of my favorite fibers to spin now that I have tried it! 

A special thanks to Dawn for working with me on this fiber! 

If you want to find more about Dawn:
Ravelry: dlyn1124
Etsy: Daybreak Dyeworks

No comments:

Post a Comment